FairWarning’s next generation platform delivers real-time capability, advanced threat detection and filtering, expands offerings to cloud-based applications and expands rapid forensics investigations and containment
Las Vegas (HIMSS’16) – March 1, 2016 – FairWarning, the leading provider of application security intelligence solutions in healthcare, today announced its fourth generation technology called Patient Privacy Intelligence (PPI). PPI is designed to provide an unprecedented level of security intelligence, insights and protection for electronic health records (EHRs) and applications used in healthcare, including fast growing cloud-based services such as Salesforce and Office 365. FairWarning’s new offering is based on multiple patents and patents pending.
In recent years the information security threats waged against the healthcare industry have reached unprecedented levels with bad actors now including hacktivists, nation-state attacks, domestic and international identity theft rings as well as fraud rings of several kinds. This is in addition to the traditional insider threats, which the industry has faced for years.
Information security, privacy and governance now requires more cooperation than ever since the threats have dramatically increased well beyond insider “snooping.” Multiple studies and sources demonstrate the healthcare industry is a vulnerable target of bad actors of all kinds, and the crown jewels for a care provider, patient information, is held in electronic health records and healthcare applications.
According to Kurt Long, CEO of FairWarning, “Looking to HIPAA is not enough, the information security attacks care providers are now suffering have lasting patient and institutional effects that go far beyond compliance, the bad guys are moving far faster than HIPAA enforcement.” Long went on to say, “the release of Patient Privacy Intelligence was over two years in the making and now delivers a powerful information security platform for protecting electronic health records along with the world’s most powerful and broadly deployed patient privacy monitoring and governance solution.”
FairWarning Patient Privacy Intelligence platform includes:
- Real–time analysis engine: Reduces the time an information security attack on EHRs goes unnoticed through real-time processing and alerting. The FairWarning real-time analysis engine is designed for modern applications which support real-time data production and is a simple add on to FairWarning’s traditional technology, which covers over 350 applications used in healthcare and is patented in countries around the world.
- Intelligent Insights: Delivers information security and privacy personnel easy-to-understand, actionable insights on unusual access patterns through a range of new tools including; one-click data visualization, trend reporting, and a wide range of statistical analysis on user behaviors.
- Next Generation Analytics and Filtering: For the first time, enables customers to automatically correlate identity information from Active Directory, Lawson, PeopleSoft, Workday into advanced analytics and filtering. FairWarning next generation analytics and filtering is based on patent pending technology.
- Cloud-Based Application Support: FairWarning has added support for cloud-based applications such as Salesforce and Office 365, giving its healthcare customers immediate insights, visibility and protections for their on-premise applications and now cloud applications, from a single platform. The technology is based on a recent FairWarning patent award.
- Cooperative Threat Detection and Response: FairWarning has expanded support in its FairWarning Ready for Enterprise Security initiative to include support for leading SIEM vendors as well as its recently announced work with FireEye.
“Healthcare is a foundational part of our country’s critical infrastructure and should be treated with the same level of security precautions as other sectors,” said Dave Summitt, Director of Cyber Security Operations, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute. “By standing up a Security Operations Center, featuring real-time event monitoring, you can proactively monitor your EHR and environment which greatly reduces problems before they become a major incident.”
“Imagine a nation-state that has acquired compromised credentials from a hospital employee and is now downloading thousands of patient records en masse. Or your EHR being held for ransom because an employee clicked a malicious hyperlink,” said John Houston, Vice President, Privacy & Information Security and Assistant Counsel for the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. “These aren’t hypothetical situations anymore. They are real and they are happening to our healthcare facilities — daily. We must have the tools in place to prevent, detect and respond to today’s cybersecurity threats. With real-time monitoring we will be better armed with actionable intelligence to stop an attack in its tracks.”
See FairWarning at HIMSS’16
FairWarning® is a leading provider of solutions that deliver information security intelligence and insights for mission critical applications, such as Salesforce, Office 365, Electronic Health Records (EHRs) and cloud-based applications. Auditing over 350 business applications, FairWarning inspects immense volumes of application security information and provides visibility related to application risk, security, and governance through deep insights into user access behaviors. FairWarning provides a comprehensive platform and managed services for real-time and continuous monitoring, advanced threat detection and filtering, performing forensic investigations and incident containment, enforcing access policies, conducting legal investigations, and improving compliance effectiveness with complex federal and state privacy laws such as HIPAA, PCI, SOX, FISMA and EU Data Protection Act. FairWarning delivers insights 24x7x365. FairWarning catches people stealing your data.