St. Dominic’s and UPMC Win Top Spots among 2014 Privacy Excellence Award Winners.
CLEARWATER, FL – February 25, 2014 – FairWarning, Inc., the inventor and KLAS Category Leader in Patient Privacy Monitoring1, today announced the 2014 Privacy Excellence Awards winners, recognizing healthcare institutions who have led the way in protecting patient privacy. Winners were selected by an independent panel of privacy experts from around the world, with FairWarning® serving to ensure the integrity of the process. The Privacy Excellence Awards, the healthcare industry’s top honor for privacy, showcase six healthcare leaders from around the world who are committed to delivering better care and creating a culture of privacy and compliance through courage, innovation, and dedication.
Healthcare Privacy Heroes Exhibit Courage, Innovation, and Dedication
Overall Achievement Award winner, the highest scoring organization worldwide, is St. Dominic’s in Jackson, Mississippi.
Visionary of the Year is awarded to UPMC in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, an organization that exemplifies how an imaginative and enterprising spirit and custom privacy program results in a strong culture of patient privacy. The Visionary of the Year award was designed to highlight those organizations whose technical and cultural innovations and industry “firsts” have been instrumental in shaping the industry through contributions of knowledge and best practices.
The 2014 regional winners are:
- Best Large Healthcare Provider, Eastern United States: UPMC in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Best Medium – Small Healthcare Provider, Eastern United States: Dominic’s in Jackson, Mississippi
- Best Large Healthcare Provider, Western United States: Banner Health in Phoenix, Arizona
- Best Medium – Small Healthcare Provider, Western United States: The Everett Clinic in Everett, Washington
- Best Healthcare Provider, Canada: Health Information Technology Services – Nova Scotia in Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Best Healthcare Provider, United Kingdom & Europe: NHS Lothian in Edinburgh, Scotland
Also recognized for Outstanding Contributions to Privacy are:
- Bronson Healthcare Group in Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Columbus Regional Hospital in Columbus, Indiana
- Cookeville Regional Health Systems, Inc. in Cookeville, Tennessee
- Palomar Health in San Diego, California
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York
“This year’s Privacy Excellence Award winners are the best of the best, and it has been a sincere honor to work with them over the years,” says Kurt Long, FairWarning® Founder and CEO. “FairWarning® and its customers are leaving a lasting impression on healthcare, so that patients can share their most sensitive information confidently in order to receive the best care possible.”
The Privacy Excellence Award submissions were reviewed and assessed by an elite panel of hand- selected judges from government and industry who demonstrate a commitment to privacy as an ideal. Judges included:
- Daniel Beaumont, Information Assurance and Governance Lead, NHS Scotland
- Ann Cavoukian, Information and Privacy Commissioner, Ontario, Canada
- John Pritchard, Director of Information Security at St. Charles Health System in Bend, Oregon
- David Sheidlower, Chief Information Security Officer at Health Quest in Poughkeepsie, New York
Winners will be recognized for a full calendar year with extensive media coverage, a featured role in webinars and industry events across the country. The Privacy Excellence Awards program also offers professional video profile of the winning privacy teams, speaking engagements, the use of electronic signage, and print award emblems for use in perpetuity.
To introduce the 2014 winners, FairWarning® will host a webinar titled “2014 Privacy Excellence Award Winners: How Privacy is Impacting Patient Care,” on March 18, 2014 at 2:00pm EST. To register for the upcoming webinar, please visit http://goo.gl/djFVeu.
More information about the FairWarning® Privacy Excellence Award winners is available at
About FairWarning, Inc.
FairWarning®’s mission is to lead the industry expansion of trust in Electronic Health Records empowering care providers to grow their reputation for protecting confidentiality, scale their digital health initiatives and comply with complex Federal and state privacy laws such as HIPAA. By partnering with FairWarning, care providers are able to direct their focus on delivering the best patient outcomes possible while receiving expert, sustainable and affordable privacy and compliance solutions. Customers consider FairWarning® privacy auditing solutions essential for compliance with healthcare privacy regulations such as ARRA HITECH privacy and meaningful use criteria, HIPAA, UK and EU Data Protection, California SB 541 and AB 211, Texas HB 300, and Canadian provincial healthcare privacy law. For more information on FairWarning® visit https://www.fairwarning.com or email Soultions@FairWarning.com.
1 2013 Best in KLAS: Software & Services report, January, 2014. © 2014 KLAS Enterprises, LLC. All rights reserved. www.KLASresearch.com